For the remainder of the class, we went on a tour of the labor/delivery and recovery departments. The rooms are really nice... you have your own private room where you labor and deliver the baby. About an hour after the baby is born, they will move you to the recovery room where you stay any where from 2 to 4 nights. The labor/delivery rooms are nice because they have all sorts of tools to help you get through labor -- a birthing ball, glider, bathtub (jacuzzi in some rooms), and squat bar that attaches to the bed. The bed can also be repositioned so you are not laying on your back the entire time, kind of like into a chair and/or counter. (Apparently, laboring on your back for too long can lead to a longer labor and more chance of a c-section. ) Our instructor is a doula and is very much a proponent of "active" labor. Which means, you move around in different positions rather than laying on your back and/or side while in the hospital. You can not have an "active" birth if you choose an epidural, since an epidural basically paralyzes you from the waist down and you can't really be "active".
I thought all along I would go the pain-free epidural route, but considering it can slow labor down, lengthen the entire process, and lead to more medical interventions (c-section, vaccum, forceps, episiotomy, etc.) than the "active" natural route, I'm not sure now. Of course, I want to have the shortest possible labor and the least amount of medical intervention, but we'll see how I cope with the pain. Bottom line, I'm not ruling out an epidural, but will be open to having an "active" natural birth if at all possible.
The recovery rooms are also private. AND, baby rooms in. Which means, the baby stays in the room with mom/dad/family the entire stay in the hospital. The nurses can be called to take the baby if mom/dad need sleep, which is nice.
So, that's it! It was a good tour and nice to see where all of the action is going to be happening in 9 weeks. Who hoo!
1 comment:
You might keep that epidural in mind--don't try to make all those decisions TOO fast!
Post a Comment